Istanbul can be overwhelming. Surely you can spend three days exploring the city with the Lonely Planet book sealed to your hand, or – even better – with one of those annoyingly knowledgeable guides who’ll diligently disclose the complete historical chronology of the city. Alternatively, you can dive into Istanbul’s best experiences. Chill at the boat cruise. Connect with locals. Sample the city flavors - and get to feel the real, unparalleled atmosphere of the city. The choice is yours - but in any case we have compiled the list of the most rewarding and exciting experiences in Istanbul. Enjoy.
- Indulge in Turkish cuisine. Kebabs, köfte, döner, börek and gözleme are only a few from the long list of dishes to sample.
- Catch a sunset at Galata Bridge, a famous city spot for fishing. Besides being a spectator, you can get a fishing tackle and try to catch a fish for your own Balik Ekmek (fish sandwich).
- Cruise along Bosphorus. Hop on a ferry at sunset and admire the stunning city skyline.
- Get lost in the Grand Bazaar. Wander around one of the largest and oldest covered markets in the world – and make sure to steal a bargain in one of the numerous shops.
- Smoke a shisha. Turkey is famous all over the world for its nargiles – and that fame is well-deserved.
- Sip Turkish coffee. Cooked black, and slightly bitter, it is a culinary experience of its own.
- Take a ride to the Asian part of the city – and then back to the European.
- Watch a football game with locals in Besiktas – and make sure to support the right team.
- Explore the treasures of Sultanahmet. The historical area is swamped with a variety of must-see sights – make sure to at least cover Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, Grand Bazaar and Basilica Cistern.
- Spend an afternoon in Ortakoy. Enjoy the sight of huge liners passing by – and don’t forget to sample a local specialty- kumpir (huge baked potato stuffed with a variety of fillings).
If you liked this article, you might also enjoy: