Istanbul is home to 14 million people. 14 million different characters, personalities, identities. Millions of unique stories – all unbelievably interlaced in the gigantic metropolis. A colorful variety of moments that altogether create that one, unmatched feel of Istanbul.
- Seller at the Besiktas fish market is closing late today. As always, the day has been busy.
- A woman rapidly walking through the street is a typical representative of modern Istanbul – her outfit strangely well mixes the modern and and the traditional, West and East.
- Fishermen at Galata bridge – a usual sight. They come here every day, and – if you are lucky – might even share a fishing tackle.
- Asian neighbourhoods are bursting with colour and children’s laugh.
- Two women gossip in the clothes store. Those moments – the most enjoyable part of the day.
- An old woman is preparing Gözleme on the street. By now her movements are polished and perfected – after all, she has been doing this for years.
- Noticing the camera, a local carpet vendor uses the moment to entertain us. He switches faces from happy to sad and angry, and gladly enjoys the attention.
- Just seconds before the door closes – the kid manages to get on the bus. Now he won’t be late to school.
- In the depth of Asian neighbourhoods – many elders. Some prefer to spend time playing cards or chess, others pass away their days at the benches of local parks.
- The seller of local loafs slowly walks home. Today was not a good day – the tray he carries on his head is still loaded.
- A street musician from Brazil spends here almost every day, playing relaxed South American tunes for the passing crowd. He came to Istanbul years ago – and is still not planning on leaving.
- An old man sells food for the pigeons near the New Mosque. He barely notices new faces anymore – locals and tourists have all merged in one colorful noisy mass.
- Kids in the Asian part of the city cheerfully welcome foreign visitors – “Hi! How are you? You – English, me – Turkish.”
- Local street vendor is joyfully smiling to people passing by – he has something to offer for any taste.
If you liked this article, you might also enjoy: